At St Marys we believe in an effective self-evaluation with actions that flow from it.We believe that these actions should deliver improved educational outcomes and experiences for all pupils. Self-evaluation must be an integral part of the school development planning process with the resulting actions and targets captured in School Development Plans (SDPs).
Our SDP is a strategic plan for improvement. Its aim is to bring together, in a clear and simple way, the school’s priorities, the main measures it will take to raise standards, the resources dedicated to these, and the key outcomes and targets it intends to achieve.
2016 /2017 was a good year for St Marys RC Primary School and a lot of fantastic progress made by not just the children but all staff, parents and governors.
SUCCESSES AND PRIORITIES
Key Successes for 2016/2017
- New provision mapping and Intervention programmes embedeed across all the school and new online system intergrated.
- Personalised reading and maths marking supports targets for children in both Key stages
- New strategy for the teaching & learning of reading-Recipricol and rapaid read
- New assesment milestone sheets created for each core subject and started for foundation subjects
- Framework for the progression in written and mental calculations of maths in place
- Quality of the EYFS learning environment enhanced
- EYFS outdoor provision redeveopled and now used as a model for other schools
- Gold sport mark award for P.E achieved
- Safeguarding audit in line with OFSTED requirements
- Big maths challenges is enhancing existing mental maths strategies
- intoduction of rock star times tbale to support Big MATHS
- progress in KS2 shows St Marys in top 20% of schools in country for writing and maths
- Oustanding attainment in EYFS and phonics.Progress good across year groups as phonics at 88% .
- Kagan strategies embedded across all the school –outstanding T&L( 75%)
- We have deepened and extended the quality of RE evidence and evaluation of standards and introduced 'Come and see'
- We have new chaplains;Eco;school and sporting councils.
- School cousllotrs embededc
SDP summary for 2017 -2018.
Key focus 1.
Achievement of pupils.
Pupils should make rapid and sustained progress from their starting points and to ensure value for money for FSM6+
- Progress strong but need to raise attainment in Reception GLD to exceed 75%. Specific focus on rising trend of math’s reading and writing -exceed 72 % (2017- R--66% W-65% Num-68%.).Main focus on formalizing Eng RWinc and Math’s and greater focused work CP in pm
- KS2 attainment to be 80% ARE in reading writing and math’s by year end 2017.Y6 Target of 25% or in line with national (2018)of each year group to be at mastery. Use of new reciprocal reading approach and GR CPD for all staff. New x tables, new reasoning focus and Numicon focus KS1/Y3 in math’s.
- Raise KS2 progress in line with national attainment and to exceed 3.5+ progress in each subject by 2018
- Embed age-related expectations in writing in all year groups given new NC and assertive mentoring weekly assessment
- New technical approach systematically developed link to grammarsuarus -challenging SPAG.
- KS2 reading- disadvantaged to be at 70% by summer 2018(nat-71% sch-34%).See above for intensive reading strategies rapid read- Project X –Y2 and Y3 . Disadvantaged groups intensive support –Rapid read and Maths Whizz
- Handwriting to be a focus in all writing from R-Y6
- Science to be planned, robustly monitored and challenges to include investigative and evaluative science (linked into Primary quality science mark) –target of 80% ARE in KS1 KS2(2016 -78% and 76% respectively )
- Disadvantaged children in Y1 Phonics to exceed 80% pass rate -DSA 58% (Nat 70%)and KS2 pass rate to exceed 95%
- Maths to be focus with boys in EYFS(exceed 70%) in line with nat
Key focus 2
Behavior and safety of children.
‘Children’s concentration can lapse occasionally as classrooms lessons can sometimes not provide enough challenge and on occasion need more engagement ’. Ofsted- Jan 2016
- Ensure all lessons include Kagan and range of deeper questioning (blooms taxonomy) Also all lessons are engaging and fully active for all children at all times-Key vocab and modelled examples included .
- Staff early identification and intervention of all additional needs pupils. New provision mapping updated and checked weekly. Extend inclusion room for social, emotional and sensory needs.
- SEND is robustly monitored, tracked and observed in lessons by staff and SEND to ensure the weakest and strongest have appropriately challenging work and all needs are being met. –Half termly mtgs with staff and governors to check on rapid progress
- A rigid timetable for all EYFS staff with outdoor and indoor timetables specific, appropriate and child centered.
- 3 part lessons in math’s integrated with white rose planning/reasoning strategies
- Forest school interventions focused on 46 children with low self-esteem and low attitude to learning.
Key focus 3
Leadership and management.
Feb 2016 -Ofsted judged L&M as good. However focus is needed on developing middle leader’s accountability and impact.
- Middle leaders contribute to improving teaching and pupils’ achievement and progress throughout the year. Ensure through high quality CPD /mentoring and coaching that ML challenge colleagues and hold them to account.
- Create foundation subjects assessment and tracking of progress termly
- Governors specifically link governors - more depth of coverage so that there are more available and skilled to robustly question subject leaders on school development.(also the impact on teaching and learning).
Key focus 4
Continue to improve quality of teaching and assessment resulting in outstanding progress. Target 88% outstanding by summer 2017.
- Engender a more independent and active learning approach in all pupils. Share good practice/ models of excellence across all Key stages and in federation.
- Encourage more cross phase support and monitoring of quality of books and marking .
- Half termly monitoring by all core subject leaders- 3 weekly book looks (SLT whole staff and federation) .
- All pupils understand next steps learning in core subjects.
- ECM teaching and learning review in Summer 1 to evaluate judgments and quality of learning.